What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism—the way the body uses digested food for growth and energy. Most of the food people eat is broken down into glucose, the form of sugar in the blood. Glucose is the main source of fuel for the body.
After digestion, glucose passes into the bloodstream, where it is used by cells for growth and energy. For glucose to get into cells, insulin must be present. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas, a large gland behind the stomach.
When people eat, the pancreas automatically produces the right amount of insulin to move glucose from blood into the cells. In people with diabetes, however, the pancreas either produces little or no insulin, or the cells do not respond appropriately to the insulin that is produced. Glucose builds up in the blood, overflows into the urine, and passes out of the body in the urine. Thus, the body loses its main source of fuel even though the blood contains large amounts of glucose.
How Does GG Bran Crisp Bread Help Manage Diabetes?
- Consumption of GG has shown to improve and control glucose tolerance and reduce insulin resistance!
- The structural integrity of GG's fiber is important to the positive biofunctional effects of its fiber on glucose and insulin metabolism. The coarse properties of GG Bran have a greater bulking effect than other bran products, which provides delayed gastric emptying and accelerated small bowel transit.
- The primary mechanism that GG Bran (50% dietary fiber) provides is its unique ability to slow the digestion and absorption of food and by regulating several metabolic hormones. Specifically, GG's unique 3 dimensional strawlike structure provides increased satiety, reduced transit time, reduced glycemic response, in combination with improved insulin response secretion, sensitivity, and improved fecal bulking.
- The Finnish Diabetes Prevention study recently reported individuals with the highest level of fiber consumption had a 62% reduction in progression of pre diabetes to diabetes over a 4.1 year study compared to those with the lowest fiber intake. Recent studies have clearly indicated that by increasing fiber intake for individuals with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes showed substantial improvements in glycemic control and reductions in the use of oral medication and insulin dosages.
GG's 50% dietary fiber content and coarse straw like structure absorb 3 times its weight in body fluids which quickly suppresses one's appetite as well as slowing and reducing the uptake of sugar into the blood stream. Our customers call it "The Appetite Control Cracker".
Try GG Bran Crispbread
What makes GG Bran sprinkles or crackers unique is its combination of 5 grams of dietary fiber, low GI, 2 net carbs, and only 12 calories per cracker.
Interested in seeing just how effective GG Bran Crispbread can be for control of your Diabetes? Order today and you can enjoy the benefits of our Diabetic friendly bread alternative.
CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!
- Among U.S. residents aged 65 years and older, 10.9million, or 26.9%, had diabetes in 2010.
- About 215,000 people under 20 years had diabetes (type 1 or type 2) in the United States in 2010.
- About 1.9 million people aged 20 years or older were newly diagnosed with diabetes in 2010 in the United States.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, non-traumatic lower limb amputations, and new cases of blindness among adults in the United States.
- In 2005–2008, based on fasting glucose or hemoglobin A1c levels, 35% of U.S. adults aged 20 years or older had pre diabetes (50% of adults aged 65 years or older). Applying this percentage to the entire U.S. population in 2010 yields an estimated 79 million American adults aged 20 years or older with pre diabetes.
- Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke.
- Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States!
I'm no longer a Type 2 diabetic!
Or at least according to my medical records! I've had a lifelong (50+ years) of dealing with fainting spells caused by low blood sugar. I was 50 years old when the occasional problem became a serious problem. My blood sugar showed me to be a diabetic.
My wise physician gave me a copy of Dr. Bernstein's book on controlling blood sugars. He recommended GG Bran Crispbread.
Honestly, I was hoping for a substitute for wheat toast and peanut butter and the crispbread did not meet those expectations. But I learned where they did taste good. For breakfast, they are wonderful with a cheese slice and some leftover protein (salmon, chicken, bacon, whatever..). They satifisfied my need for something crunchy with that morning cup of caffeine.
I began to use them in other cooking. I turned them into crumbs in my blender and they became crispy chicken coating (delicious) or a crunchy topping for my yogurt.
The results of Dr. Bernstein's diet were immediately obvious. I dropped 40 pounds in 6 months time.
More amazing, my blood sugar returned to normal levels within 3 months time.
And most amazing, those troubling spells of sudden low blood sugar are gone! For the first time in my life, I was free of the constant fear of having to find sugar and gobble it. (One of those memorable times: just before presenting to a big shot, I could feel that slightly sickish feeling that signaled danger. Just as I was stuffing my face with a Three Musketeers, she walked in. Her only comment was a very dry and pointedly unfriendly: "You have some chocolate on your face.")
I remain a non-diabetic by medical record and I attribute a great deal of the success to GG Bran for providing me with a whole grain product that is delicious as well as low carb.